Click on a Question below for the Answer
Telecardiology is the transfer of cardiology information and images using telecommunication technology.
Advanced Cardiac Diagnostics focuses on remote interpretation of echocardiograms and EKG’s via a secure high-speed Internet connection.
In the field of radiology there are estimated to be over 6,000 institutions using teleradiology services to aid in interpreting their diagnostic studies. In comparison, there are very few institutions using telecardiology . Numerous factors are responsible for the slow adoption, including Internet speeds and the larger size of the studies. With improved Internet speeds and widespread use of digital cardiac imaging, telecardiology is now a viable option
A 2009 report in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology reported that “A critical shortage of cardiologists exists today, and will only grow more severe in the future.”
As the population ages, more patients are undergoing cardiac testing including echocardiograms and EKG’s. A limited pool of Cardiologists is being asked to keep pace interpreting the ever-growing number of studies.
Telecardiology allows a practice or institution to outsource all, or a portion of, the diagnostic studies allowing their Cardiologist more time to see patients.
For a small hospitals/clinics with a qualified cardiovascular technician on staff, but no cardiologist, being able to perform the testing in house is a convenience to the patients and can recapture lost revenue. Patients referred to outside providers for diagnostic testing are occasionally lost to follow-up. Doing testing at your practice/facility allows for improved follow-up.
Interpreters are licensed in the state the study originates from.
Advanced Cardiac Diagnostics is willing to take on small contracts as long as there is sufficient work to justify state licensing and connection setup fees. If the contract is too small to justify these costs, we may still be wiling to accept the contract if the facility pays for state licensing. Licensing fees vary by state.
Using our services is cost neutral to your facility/practice.
- For most contracts, we charge no additional fees for using our services.
- There may be fees charged by your PACs vendor to allow outside connections to your server/PACs.
- If the contract is too small to justify licensure and connection fees, we may ask the facility to pay for state licensure. Licensing fees vary by state.
Report content will comply with guidelines established by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) formally call the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories (ICAEL). IAC guidelines parallel the recommendations of the American Society of Echocardiography (ASE)
Report guidelines are found starting on page 22 of the 2010 IAC Echocardiography Guidelines
ASE Recommendations for echocardiogram report content.
No. The facilities performing the study are responsible for long term image storage. Advanced Cardiac Diagnostics erases data on its server once a report is finalized.
All interpretations are performed in the United States using experienced board certified Cardiologists.
There are two primary billing options.
- Your facility/practice bills the insurance company for the study’s global fee. Advanced Cardiac Diagnostics collects a predetermined fee per study.
- This works well with private and self pay.
- Your facility bills the “technical component” and Advanced Cardiac Diagnostics bills the “professional component”.
- This may work better with Medicare patients where there are specific rules on out of state interpretation.